Workers compensation laws were created to ensure that employees who were injured while on the job are provided with fixed monetary awards that they deserved. Workers comp eliminates the need for litigation and creates an easier process for both the employee and the employer. Unfortunately, personal injury cases occur all the time across the United States.
Each state has varying timeframes when it comes to the statute of limitations for personal injury — as well as wrongful death claims. For instance, in Alabama, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years. Conversely, in New York State, a workplace negligence case can be filed within three years.
Despite the fact that injuries happen all the time across various industries, there are organizations that standout from others, doing everything they can to protect their employees and minimize injuries. Thanks to EHS Today, an annual celebration of safety excellence in organizations highlights the safest companies in the country.
To be considered for and given an America’s Safest Companies 2018 award, organizations must demonstrate the following:
- Support form leadership and management
- Employee involvement in the environment, safety, and health process
- Injury and illness rates lower than the average for their industries
- Innovative solutions to safety challenges
- Comprehensive training programs
- A way to substantiate the benefits of the overall safety process
- Evidence that prevention of incidents is the cornerstone of the safety process
- Good communication about the value of safety
Insulation is an essential part of residential and commercial construction. Though good insulation can reduce heating and cooling costs by as much as 40%, installing this material can actually be quite dangerous due to general construction hazards and chemical issues. Gribbins Insulation, however, has shown throughout the year that its insulation installment projects are not only of the highest quality, but emphasize world-class safety. Congratulations to Gribbins on being awarded one of the 13 Safest Companies winners.
“Safety plays a vital role in the way our company does business,” said Trevor Atherton, safety manager for Gribbins Insulation. “From the annual company-wide safety meeting to the extensive safety incentives, our commitment to safety is felt throughout the company. The combination of education and involvement allows our employees to feel confident in knowing how to work safely as well as buy into the process.”
Gribbins, as well as other safe insulation companies, doesn’t just emphasize employee health during the installation process, but throughout new hire training, continuing education, and general employee involvement.
“Gribbins Insulation believes that maintaining open communication between management and all other employees on safety issues will foster a safety culture in which employees bring forth safety concerns and suggestions that will improve safety in the workplace and raise the level of awareness,” Atherton added.
Another organization that primary works in hazardous environments has been awarded the coveted America’s Safest Companies award — Total Safety.
Since 2014, Total Safeties seen a total injury cost — direct and indirect — reduction of $1.04 million.
“Safety is critical to Total Safety because it is critical we not only have programs in place to provide safety services to our customers, but we must have programs in place to help keep our employees safe,” said James Taylor, voluntary protection program director. “The safety of our employees means the safety of our customers and peers. They are all connected.”
Even an organization that has the words “missiles” and “fire” in its name can be among the safest companies in the country. Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control (MFC) has recently experienced a period of unprecedented growth, subsequently bringing new safety challenges and concerns. Despite the company growth, MFC has consistently maintained its commitment to excellence, respect, and safety.
“MFC leadership recognizes that our work environments are complex and dynamic and is dedicated to approaching challenges and opportunities with innovation and integrity,” said Casey Anderson, EHS manager.
Here is the full list of the 2018 America’s Safest Companies Winners:
- Ashland LLC — Covington, Kentucky
- Bancroft Construction Co. — Wilmington, Deleware
- Denark Construction Inc. — Knoxville, Tennessee
- Digital Realty — San Francisco, California
- EnTrans International — Athens, Tennessee
- Graycor Industrial Construction Inc — Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
- The Great Lakes Construction Co. — Hinckley, Ohio
- Gribbins Insulation — Evansville, Indiana
- Icon Corporation — Spokane Valley, Washington
- Komatsu Mining Corp. — Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control — Grand Praire, Texas
- Raytheon Co. — Waltham, Massachusetts
- Total Safety — Houston, Texas
America’s Safest Companies was founded in 2002 by EHS Today. Currently, there have been 238 companies that have been recognized with annual awards. Congratulations to the 2018 winners and the safest organizations in the United States.